Form 3624, Application to Mail at Nonprofit Standard Mail Prices.
- Get a copy of Form 3624, Application to Mail at Nonprofit Standard Mail Prices. The form also is available from your postmaster or your business mail entry unit.
- Fill out Form 3624. Lines 1-8 and Lines 10-17 are self-explanatory. For Line 9, check the category (ONLY ONE) under which you are applying.
- Required documentation. You must submit some documentation with your application to support your claim for nonprofit prices:
- Formative papers—e.g., articles of incorporation, constitution, or charter.
- IRS letter of exemption from payment of federal income tax.
- Other evidence of nonprofit status—e.g., a financial statement prepared by a responsible party such as a certified public accountant substantiating organization’s nonprofit status (statement must include balance sheets, income statement, notes, etc.).
- Some mailers provide additional supporting documentation:
- List of the organization’s activities during the past 12 months.
- Financial statement showing receipts and expenditures for the past fiscal year, plus the budget for the current year.
- Other documents of operation—e.g., the organization’s bulletins, minutes of meetings, brochures.
- Submit the completed form and supporting documentation to your postmaster or at the business mail entry unit. Applications may be submitted online by obtaining a logon and password at Business Customer Gateway at usps.com
- Your application will be reviewed by the Postal Service. If there are any questions about the application or if additional supporting documentation is needed, a postal specialist will contact you directly. Hardcopy usually takes about two weeks for your application to be approved. Applying online can expedite the process.
- You can mail your organization’s material while the nonprofit application is pending. Until you receive nonprofit authorization, you must pay postage at the regular (higher) Standard Mail prices. Then, if your nonprofit application is approved, you can request a refund of the difference between the regular and nonprofit price.
- To request a refund, complete Form 3533, Application for Refund of Fees, Products and Withdrawal of Customer Accounts. The form also is available from your postmaster or your business mail entry unit.
Submit Form 3533 with a copy of your dated nonprofit application and copies of your postage statements. Be sure to keep copies of your postage statements to expedite the refund process. It takes about two weeks to receive your refund check.
Once you have been approved to mail at nonprofit privileges, in order to keep that authorization, you must make a nonprofit mailing at least once during a two-year period. Otherwise, your authorization could be revoked.
Who qualifies for nonprofit prices?
Calculate your nonprofit postage
Not sure what category to check? It must be one of the categories listed in Line 9 for your organization to be eligible. Review the categories for eligible nonprofit organizations.
Not sure what to provide? Review general documentation requirements.
Not sure if you’re providing enough documentation? Don’t worry. A postal specialist will contact you if any additional documentation must be provided.
There is NO FEE to apply for nonprofit status. However, you will need to pay an annual mailing fee when submitting a mailing and, if you decide to pay with permit imprint, a permit imprint application fee.
When your application is approved, you will receive an authorization letter from the Postal Service. A copy also will go to the Post Office where you are authorized to mail at Nonprofit prices. Be sure to save your copy of the letter as evidence that you have been authorized.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader