Direct sacks of printed matter to a single foreign addressee, which are also known as M–bags, are subject to the following conditions of mailing:
- Maximum weight of a sack: 66 pounds (including the tare weight of the sack).
- Maximum weight of an item: 4 pounds.
- Availability: All destinations that are referenced in the Individual Country Listings.
- Identification: PS Tag 158, M–Bag Addressee Tag, must be completed and attached to the neck of the sack.
- Postage: The applicable postage for airmail M-bags, International Priority Airmail (IPA), and International Surface Air Lift (ISAL) must be affixed to PS Tag 158.
- Extra services: Certificate of mailing is available. Registry and insurance are not available.
Printed matter is admissible in M–bags. Printed matter is defined as paper on which words, letters, characters, figures, images, or any combination thereof, not having the character of a bill or statement of account, or of actual or personal correspondence, have been reproduced by any process other than handwriting or typewriting. Articles that meet the printed matter definition include newspapers, magazines, journals, books, sheet music, catalogues, directories, commercial advertising, and promotional matter.
Articles of merchandise may be enclosed in M–bags, provided that all of the following conditions of mailing are met:
- The merchandise items being sent are limited to disks, tapes, and cassettes; commercial samples shipped by manufacturers and distributors; or other non–dutiable commercial articles or informational materials that are not subject to resale.
- The merchandise items relate to the printed matter (see 261.21) with which they are being mailed.
- The merchandise items are affixed to or are otherwise combined with the accompanying printed matter.
- The weight of each mailpiece or package, which contains merchandise in combination with printed matter, may not exceed 4 pounds.
- The M–bag must be accompanied by a fully completed PS Form 2976, Customs — CN 22 (Old C1) and Sender’s Declaration, which is to be affixed to PS Tag 158, M–bag Addressee Tag.