First-Class Package International Service items bearing a computer-generated customs form with customs data that has been electronically transmitted (e.g., using Click-N-Ship service, an authorized PC Postage vendor, or the USPS Web Tools system) may be deposited through any of the following methods, provided postage is paid by a means other than the use of postage stamps:
- In a private mailbox bearing a return address that matches the address at the point of pick up, when the customer or business is known to reside or do business at that location.
- Through Pickup on Demand service.
- Through Package Pickup service.
- At a Postal Service retail counter.
- Into a Postal Service lobby drop.
- In a collection box.
- At a Contract Postal Unit (CPU).
- At a USPS-Approved Shipper location.
Customers must present the following First-Class Package International Service items requiring a customs form to an employee at a Post Office retail service counter. Deposit and pickup methods listed in 255.11 are prohibited. The Postal Service will return improperly presented items to the sender for proper entry and acceptance.
- Any item bearing a customs form and paid with only postage stamps.
- Any item bearing a handwritten customs form.
- Any item bearing a customs form that was not computer-generated.
- Any item for which the customs data was not electronically transmitted.
Mailers who enter volume mailings paid with a permit imprint under 253.22 must enter such items through a business mail entry unit (BMEU) or, when authorized by the district BMEU manager, through a detached mail unit (DMU) at a mailer’s plant.
Subject to the standards in 255.1, Pickup on Demand service is available for First-Class Package International Service items. There is a single charge for Pickup on Demand service (see Notice 123, Price List), regardless of the number of items scheduled for pickup. A pickup can include any or all of the following items:
- Global Express Guaranteed items.
- Priority Mail Express International items.
- Priority Mail International items.
- First-Class Package International Service items.
- Priority Mail Express items.
- Priority Mail items.
- Package Services items.
No pickup fee will be charged when a First-Class Package International Service item or items are picked up during a letter carrier’s regular delivery stop or during a scheduled stop made to collect other mail not subject to a pickup fee. Pickup service is provided in accordance with the information in DMM 507.7; for more information, also visit the online site at usps.com/pickup.