A refund may be made when postage, extra service fees, or other return charges have been paid on the following First-Class Mail International, First-Class Package International Service, and Priority Mail International items:
- Items for which full service was not rendered.
- Items for which the customer made payment in excess of the proper price.
- Undeliverable-as-addressed items under 771.51 for which return charges were incorrectly assessed.
Senders requesting postage refunds should submit to the postmaster at the office at which the items were mailed:
- An application on PS Form 3533, Application and Voucher for Refund of Postage, Fees, and Services, in duplicate.
- When available, the envelope or wrapper, or the portion thereof having names and addresses of sender and addressee, canceled postage, and postal markings.
- Any other evidence of payment of the amount of postage, fees, or charges for which refund is desired.
When the refund request relates to mail originating in the United States and there is no reason to believe that the other country is at fault, process the application as prescribed in DMM 604.
When there is reason to believe that the other country is at fault, or when the request relates to mail originating in another country, forward the application with the wrapper and all supporting papers to the following address:
INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH GROUP
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
PO BOX 512318
LOS ANGELES CA 90051-0318