Quick Service Guide 705a
Standard Mail—Customized MarketMail
June 7, 2010
Physical Standards (705.1.1.3)
Maximum weight: 3.3 ounces.
Shape: rectangular, nonrectangular, or irregular. Uniform thickness not required.
Attachments up to 1/4 inch thick are permitted.
- Minimum: 3-1/2 inches high, 5 inches long, and 0.007 inch thick.
- Maximum: 12 inches high, 15 inches long, and 3/4 inch thick.
To determine length and height, see next page. For flexibility standards, see 705.1.1.3e.
Prices and Fees (705.1.2)
For a complete listing of Customized Market Mail (CMM) prices, see Notice 123-Price List.
Pieces pay the Regular or Nonprofit Standard Mail 5-digit nonentry price for Not Flat-Machinable pieces.
Destination entry discounts and additional presort discounts are not available.
Annual $185.00 presort mailing fee.
Eligibility Standards (705.1.0)
Mailings of 200 or more addressed pieces sorted and marked as described below. Pieces may be letter-size or flat-size. Pieces must weigh no more than 3.3 ounces. Pieces may be rectangular, nonrectangular, or irregularly shaped up to 3/4 inch thick. Pieces must meet content eligibility standards for Standard Mail. Nonprofit prices require specific authorization (703.1.0).
Each piece must have a complete delivery address (including exceptional address format and occupant address formats) with the correct ZIP Code or ZIP+4 code. Simplified address format is not permitted.
A certified process must be used to ensure accuracy of 5-digit ZIP Codes.
CMM pieces not bearing an alternative address format must comply with Move Update standards in 343.3.9.
If carrier route information line is used, information must be updated within 90 days of mailing using a CASS-certified process. Carrier route information not required.
Ancillary service endorsements and detached address labels not permitted.
Postage Payment and Documentation (244)
Precanceled stamp (604.3.0), meter (604.4.0), or permit imprint (604.5.0).
Additional standards apply to mailings of nonidentical-weight pieces.
- Supporting documentation: Required unless correct price is affixed to each piece or each piece is of identical weight. Mailings of nonidentical-weight pieces or using more than three different container types require standardized documentation (708.8.0).
- Plant-verified drop shipment: at origin verification, PS Form 3602-C (or postage statement register) and PS Form 8125; at each destination, signed PS Form 8125. If individual postage statements are used for each destination, 200-piece minimum required at each DDU.
Mail Preparation (705.1.4)
Marking on each piece in postage area:
- Regular: "Presorted Standard" or "PRSRT STD."
- Nonprofit: "Nonprofit Organization" or "NONPROFIT ORG." or "NONPROFIT."
- Additional required markings: "CUSTOMIZED MARKETMAIL" or "CUST MKTMAIL" or "CMM" in postage area or on one or two lines above delivery address or in an optional endorsement line or carrier route information line. Carrier release endorsement: "Carrier—Leave If No Response" below return address.
- Sortation: Mail bundled by 5-digit ZIP Code or optional carrier route and prepared in 5-digit, 5-digit scheme (L606), carrier route, or 5-digit carrier routes containers to a destination delivery unit. No minimum volume (piece or weight) for individual bundles or containers. No required minimum per destination delivery unit.
- Containers: Mailer-supplied containers or USPS-supplied 1- or 2-foot letter trays, flat trays, or sacks with appropriate container labels (245.4.0 for letters or 345.4.0 for flats). If more than three types of containers are used, the mailing must be prepared using an approved manifest mailing system under 705.2.0. Mailer-supplied containers must be marked "Postmaster—Open and Distribute."
Enter and Deposit (705.1.1)
Must be deposited at a destination delivery unit using standard entry procedures, Priority Mail or Express Mail drop shipment (705.16.0), or plant-verified drop shipment (PVDS) (705.15.0).
Bundling and Container Sequence (705.1.0
Carrier route preparation is optional.
Bundles: Required with two or more pieces to the same destination; maximum bundle weight, 20 pounds.
Bundle Labels: Optional; use Red Label 5, optional endorsement line (OEL), or facing slip.
Pieces must be prepared in 5-digit, 5-digit scheme (L606
), carrier route, or 5-digit carrier routes letter trays, flat trays, sacks, or mailer-supplied containers. No minimum required.
Bundles in Express Mail or Priority Mail drop shipments (705.16.0
) may be prepared in USPS-supplied containers or mailer-supplied containers.
PVDS Labels: For Line 1, use city, state, and 5-digit ZIP Code on mail. For Line 2, use "DEL STD CMM MAN." 1 For Line 3, use office of mailing.
Use "DEL LTR STD CMM MAN" for letter trays; use "DEL FLTS STD CMM MAN" for flat trays; use "DEL STD CMM MAN" for sacks.
Length is determined by drawing a straight line between the two outer points most distant from each other.
Height is determined by drawing perpendicular lines to the points that are the greatest distance above and below the axis of length. The sum of these two lines determines the height.
Back to Top