Pricing & Classification DMM Advisory
May 17, 2016
Expanding Priority Mail International® Service to Cuba
Cuba already receives Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes from the U.S. Postal Service®. Beginning May 23, 2016, we will expand this service to include Priority Mail International Medium and Large Flat Rate Boxes and Priority Mail International parcels. The following limitations will apply:
- Weight Limits:
- Priority Mail International Medium and Large Flat Rate Boxes – 20 lbs.
- Priority Mail International Ordinary Parcels – 22 lbs.
- The surface area of the address side of the item to be mailed must be large enough to completely contain the postage, PS Form 2976-E Customs Declaration Envelope - CP 91 (the plastic envelope for the customs form), and any other applicable endorsements or markings. PS Form 2976-E is approximately 10-1/4 inches wide and 7-1/4 inches high.
- Maximum length: 59 inches
- Maximum length plus girth: 108 inches
- For all parcels, length is the longest side of the parcel, and girth is the measurement around the thickest part that is perpendicular to the length.
- Priority Mail International Medium and Large Flat Rate Box – Flat Rate Country price group 8
- Priority Mail International parcels – Country price group 9
- Priority Mail International parcels containing non-negotiable documents are insured against loss, damage or missing contents up to $100 at no additional charge. Parcels containing merchandise are insured against loss, damage, or missing contents up to $200 at no additional charge.
- No additional document reconstruction or merchandise insurance will be available for purchase.
Mailers are reminded to consult Publication 699, Special Requirements for Shipping Internationally, https://about.usps.com/publications/welcome.htm for allowable content to Cuba and information regarding when an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) is required.
These revisions will be published in the July update to the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, International Mail Manual (IMM®).
The Postal Service plans to establish Priority Mail Express International® service to Cuba during late summer 2016 and we will provide more information as it becomes available.