A properly designed mailpiece qualifies for the best postage rates possible! Properly designed mailpieces will help you avoid unanticipated costs and ensure accurate delivery.
The resources on this page will help you understand the Postal Service's Business Reply Mail, Courtesy Reply Mail, and other mailpiece design requirements and aid printers, graphic artists, form designers, and envelope manufacturers in creating business mail.
The USPS Automated Business Reply Mail® (ABRM) application on the Business Customer Gateway is an online, self-service tool to assist customers in creating domestic Courtesy Reply Mail (CRM)™, Business Reply Mail (BRM)®, and Qualified Business Reply Mail (QBRM)™ artwork for card- and letter-size mailpieces. The ABRM tool allows customers to design and create approved USPS artwork with an Intelligent Mail® barcode (IMb). Customers can even add an image or logo related to the mailpiece. Another exciting feature of the ABRM tool allows customers to authorize a third-party vendor or service provider to create artwork on their behalf.
Mailpiece Design Analysts (MDAs) are specially trained Postal Service employees who can answer your questions about mailpiece design, including reply mail design. These employees provide advice and evaluate mailpieces for machinability and automation-based prices.
MDAs have specialized industry expertise and can assist with:
- Technical mailpiece design questions.
- Mailpiece analysis and physical review.
- ABRM tool assistance and reply mail artwork requests.
- Advice and evaluations on mailpieces for automation compatibility.
- Providing information on Intelligent Mail.
- Handheld templates.
- Other tests, reviews, and services related to mailpiece design.
The MDA Support Center hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST. Customers may contact the MDA Support Center by calling 855-593-6093 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MDP Online is the only mailpiece design certification program approved by the Postal Service. This self-paced course is ideal for mail preparers who wish to maximize their proficiency in designing letter-size and flat-size mail to meet USPS standards and obtain certification as a Mailpiece Design Professional. The course includes:
- Postal addressing standards
- Class of mail and processing categories
- Intelligent Mail barcoding formats and print specifications.
- Designing automation letters (tabbing, polywrap, deflection, flexibility, etc.).
- Reply mail (BRM, CRM, MRM, PRM, MRS)
The certification exam is taken at the participant's convenience.
The Postal Service provides other templates and publications to assist with mailpiece design. These templates and publications also can be used as resources for the Mailpiece Design Professional course.