Pricing & Classification DMM Advisory

Message board to keep postal customers informed of changes to mailing standards, services, and prices.

December 29, 2011

Refunds for Overpayment of Postage for Special Postage Payment Systems

Mailers who wish to request a refund for an overpayment of postage should contact their local Post Office®, unless the refund request is for a mailing presented under a Special Postage Payment System (SPPS). Refund requests for mailings submitted under SPPS should be submitted with all supporting documentation to A list of documents required to be submitted for refund requests is posted on RIBBS® at SPPSRefundProcess.pdf.


If the refund request pertains to a MERLIN® appeal, presort error, double payment, problem loading Mail.dat® files into PostalOne! ®, metered mail, precanceled stamp mail, nonprofit Standard Mail®, delayed mail or any issues that do not involve an SPPS, it first should be submitted to the local Post Office where the mailing was made.