Customer Support Ruling
Titles on Editions of Periodicals Publications
UPDATED July 2014
This Customer Support Ruling discusses how a Periodicals publication’s title may appear when the publication is prepared in multiple editions.
Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) 22.214.171.124, states that the publication name must be shown on the front or cover page in a position, and in a type, style, and size that clearly distinguishes it from the publisher’s name or other items.
Many publications are produced in regional editions that contain news, advertising, and other information pertinent to a specific geographic area or target audience of readers. Often publishers wish to retain the regional flavor and identification of such editions by placing a variation of the publication’s authorized title in the nameplate and banner on the cover page. As a hypothetical example, a Periodicals publication titled “Big City Times” produces a regional edition for nearby Little City, called “Little City Times.” The mastheads appear as follows:
Authorized Publication Little City Edition
BIG CITY TIMES LITTLE CITY TIMES
An Edition of Big City Times
Questions have been raised as to whether the use of such a variation of the publication’s authorized title complies with identification standards in DMM 126.96.36.199.
A regional name may be used on the edition(s) of an authorized Periodicals publication under the following conditions:
· The edition’s name retains at least one prominent element of the publication’s authorized title (e.g., “City Times” appears prominently in the names, Big City Times and Little City Times).
· The phrase, “An edition of (name of authorized Periodicals publication)” appears in the banner or nameplate of the publication on the first cover page.
· The authorized title of the publication appears in the identification statement of all editions.
· The original entry postmaster is notified in writing of the titles used for all editions.
· The authorized title and the name of the edition are noted on each postage statement.
It is recommended, but not required, that the names of all editions be shown in the masthead on the editorial page of the Periodicals publication.
Headquarters, US Postal Service
Washington DC 20260-3436