Ancillary service endorsements are used by mailers to request an addressee’s new address and to provide the USPS with instructions on how to handle undeliverable-as-addressed pieces. The endorsements consist of one keyword: “Electronic,” “Address,” “Return,” “Change,” or “Forwarding,” followed by the two words “Service Requested.” The endorsements are the same for all classes of mail, but the treatment and cost differ by class of mail. Use of an ancillary service endorsement on a mailpiece obligates the mailer to pay any applicable charges for forwarding, return, and separate address notification charges.
Proper placement of the endorsement is required. If the endorsement cannot be seen or understood, you might not receive the service requested. A return address as presented in 602.1.6 must be used and placed in the upper left corner of the address side of the mailpiece or the upper left corner of the addressing area. If a return address is a multiple delivery address, it must show a unit designation (e.g., apartment number) The “Electronic Service Requested” ancillary service endorsement is available for participants of Address Change Service (ACS) or OneCode ACS (used with mailpieces bearing Intelligent Mail barcodes). Mailers using Intelligent Mail barcodes may encode ancillary service requests into mailpiece barcodes, but must also include a printed endorsement on Standard Mail pieces. Information about traditional ACS and OneCode ACS is located in Publication 8a, Address Change Service.
An endorsement must be printed in no smaller than 8-point type, and it must stand out clearly against its background. Brilliant-colored envelopes and reverse printing are not permitted. There must be a 1/4-inch clear space around all sides of the endorsement. The endorsement and return address must read in the same direction as the delivery address.
The exhibit below shows the options for placing an endorsement. The endorsement shown (ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED) is just one of several options. See DMM 507.1.5 for a complete list of endorsements, treatment, and fee consequences according to the class of mail.
The endorsement must be placed in one of these four positions:
- Directly below the return address.
- Directly above the delivery address area (which includes the delivery address block and any related nonaddress elements such as a barcode, keyline, or optional endorsement line).
- Directly to the left of the postage area and below or to the left of any price marking.
- Directly below the postage area and below any price marking.
For a detailed description of USPS actions, see 507.1.5.
For Periodicals, see 507.1.5.2. For Parcel Select, see 507.1.5.4
1. Mailpiece is directed to a Computerized Forwarding System (CFS) or Postal Automated Redirection System (PARS) site for processing. Handling instructions and options are required to be predefined within the ACS mailer profile data. OneCode ACS mailers are also required to insert this service request through a valid service type code in an Intelligent Mail barcode. The service type code in the Intelligent Mail barcode will take precedence over the instructions in the mailer account profile.
2. For Address Change Service with First-Class Mail and Priority Mail, see 507.1.5.1, for ACS with Standard Mail see 507.1.5.3a.
3. USPS Retail Ground, Media Mail or Library Mail pieces are charged at the single-piece price for the class of mail. Parcel Select pieces are charged the Parcel Select Ground price plus the additional service fee. See Notice 123—Price List. (DMM Exhibit 507.1.5.4 )
4. Weighted fee is the appropriate single-piece First-Class Mail or Priority Mail price for the piece plus the nonmachinable surcharge if it applies (101.1.2), multiplied by 2.472 and rounded up to the next whole cent. For letter-size weighted fee prices, see 243.1.5.2.
5. For First-Class Mail and Priority Mail, Change Service Requested is only available with electronic Address Change Service (ACS). Only available for Priority Mail pieces containing perishable matter that bear the endorsement “Perishable.” USPS Tracking and Signature Confirmation are the only two special services permitted with this endorsement.
6. Does not meet Move Update Requirement.