- Maximum Weight: 13 ounces (over 13 ounces, First-Class Mail becomes Priority Mail).
Letter Maximum Weight:
- 3.5 ounces.
Minimum Quantity to Mail at Commercial Prices:
- 500 pieces.
First-Class Mail letter-size pieces that are square, rigid or meet at least one of the nonmachinable characteristics are subject to the nonmachinable surcharge.
Flat-size pieces that are rigid, nonrectangular, or have uneven thickness will pay the parcel price.
All mailable matter can be mailed as First-Class Mail. Some things MUST be mailed as First-Class Mail (or Priority Mail), including:
- Handwritten or typewritten material
- Bills, statements of account or invoices, credit cards
- Personal correspondence, personalized business correspondence
- All matter sealed or otherwise closed against inspection.
First-Class Mail includes:
First-Class Mail prices are the same regardless of how far the mail travels. That's a great deal! First-Class Mail postage includes forwarding and return services. You can enhance the service, security, and convenience of First-Class Mail by adding extra services such as Registered Mail and Certified Mail. These services are available for a small fee.
Many beginning mailers use First-Class Mail postcards and letters because, if you mail at single-piece prices, there's no special payment method, no mailing permit, and no extra time to presort the mail. You simply put a stamp on it and drop it in the collection box. Simple and quick.