How to Apply for Periodicals Privileges
Before you apply for Periodicals mailing privileges, read Periodicals—General Information and Eligibility, you also may ask employees at your local Post Office or Business Mail Entry Unit office for advice on applying.
Follow these steps to apply for Periodicals mailing privileges:
- Decide what category of authorization you will apply for (see DMM 207.6)
- Download PS Form 3500, Application for Periodicals Mailing Privileges. Instructions on the form explain how to fill it out correctly. PS Form 3500 is also available at your Business Mail Entry Unit.
- Apply for Periodicals mailing privileges at the Post Office serving your known office of publication.
- Turn in your completed application and pay the application fee at the Post Office where your "known office of publication" is located. Include two copies of the most recent issue of your publication marked to show the advertising content and percentage of advertising.
Once the application is accepted, the Postal Service schedules a review and verification of the publication's circulation.
- The Periodicals application fee is NOT REFUNDABLE, even if the application is denied. That's why you should review the DMM standards before you turn in your application.
- Keep a copy of your application.
- While your Periodicals application is pending, you must pay postage at First-Class Mail, USPS Marketing Mail, or Package Services prices. Contact your local Business Mail Entry Unit for further advice about mailing while the Periodicals application is pending.