Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail > 1 Introduction > 12 Scope > 122 Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable
The following are examples of hazardous materials, restricted matter, and perishable matter. These are not complete lists, but they provide an idea of the types of articles included in each category.
- Hazardous materials (section 3) include:
- Flammable liquids and combustible liquids.
- Flammable solids.
- Oxidizers and organic peroxides.
- Toxic substances (poisons) and infectious substances, etiologic agents, clinical specimens, biological products, sharps, other used medical devices.
- Radioactive materials.
- Miscellaneous hazardous materials (e.g., lithium batteries, dry ice, magnetized materials).
- Restricted matter (section 4) includes:
- Intoxicating liquors.
- Building construction materials.
- Liquids and powders.
- Matter emitting obnoxious odors.
- Cremated remains.
- Motor vehicle master keys.
- Controlled substances and drugs.
- Hemp and CBD products.
- Sharp objects (knives, switchblades, stilettos).
- Unsolicited promotional items.
- Tobacco products.
- Perishable matter (section 5) includes:
- Dead animals or parts of animals.
- Live animals.
- Meat and meat products.
- Plants and plant products.