596 Obtaining and Using Permits for Wildlife and Protected Plant Exports

596.1 Export Permits

Shippers who need export permits or other documentation required under CITES or the Endangered Species Act should contact USFWS Office of Management Authority (800–358–2104) for the appropriate application forms and instructions. Some CITES–listed species also require permits from the importing country before they can be legally exported.

596.2 CITES Permit

The original CITES permit must accompany the shipment. All wildlife exports requiring a CITES permit that are shipped by mail, including personal items mailed overseas, must be declared to USFWS and made available for inspection and permit validation by USFWS wildlife inspectors. Exports of CITES–protected plants must be declared to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service; permits for these shipments must be validated by that agency before export.

596.3 Export of Migratory Birds

The export of migratory birds, their parts, feathers, eggs, or nests, or products made from them, is prohibited except with a permit from USFWS. Permit applications and information are available from the regional Migratory Bird Permit Offices located in Albuquerque, NM; Anchorage, AK; Atlanta, GA; Denver, CO; Fort Snelling, MN; Hadley, MA; and Portland, OR.