First-Class Package International Service items bearing a computer-generated customs form with customs data that has been electronically transmitted (e.g., using Click-N-Ship service, an authorized PC Postage vendor, or the USPS Web Tools system) may be deposited through any of the following methods, provided postage is paid by a means other than the use of postage stamps:
- In a private mailbox bearing a return address that matches the address at the point of pickup, when the customer or business is known to reside or do business at that location.
- Through Pickup on Demand service.
- Through Package Pickup service.
- At a Postal Service retail counter.
- Into a Postal Service lobby drop.
- In a collection box.
- At a Contract Postal Unit (CPU).
- At a USPS Approved Shipper location.
A customer must present the following First-Class Package International Service items requiring a customs form to an employee at a Post Office retail service counter. Deposit and pickup methods listed in 255.11 are prohibited. The Postal Service will return an improperly presented item to the sender for proper entry and acceptance.
- Any item bearing a customs form and paid for with only postage stamps.
- Any item bearing a handwritten customs form.
- Any item bearing a customs form that was not computer-generated.
- Any item for which the customs data was not electronically transmitted.
Mailers who enter volume mailings paid with a permit imprint under 253.22 must enter such items through a business mail entry unit (BMEU) or, when authorized by the district BMEU manager, through a detached mail unit (DMU) at a mailer’s plant.
Subject to the standards in 255.1, Pickup on Demand service is available for First-Class Package International Service items. There is a single charge for Pickup on Demand service (see Notice 123, Price List), regardless of the number of items scheduled for pickup. A pickup can include any or all of the following items:
- Global Express Guaranteed items.
- Priority Mail Express International items.
- Priority Mail International items.
- First-Class Package International Service items.
- Priority Mail Express items.
- Priority Mail items.
- Package Services items.
Subject to the standards in 255.1 no pickup fee will be charged when a First-Class Package International Service item or items are picked up during a letter carrier’s regular delivery stop or during a scheduled stop made to collect other mail not subject to a pickup fee. Pickup service is provided in accordance with the information in DMM 507.7; for more information, also visit the online site at usps.com/pickup.